Skip to main content

Ring the bells that still can ring.

As I approach my 43rd year, I have to be honest and tell you that I’ve been struggling lately. That for most of my peers - those parents that in every way possible are in the trenches right now, it is genuinely hard. In the spring, I felt like I could get through this thing. And maybe in the summer too. But as I watch all of us scrape the very bottom of whatever we’ve got left in us to parent and teach and work and just generally survive but also put on some sort of moderately positive face for our children and parents, well honestly that’s been hard lately.

One of my all time favorite quotes is from Leonard Cohen's 1992 song, Anthem. In it, he describes:


Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack in everything

That’s how the light gets in


As I close out 42 and look ahead to 43, it's requiring me to dig deep this year, to ring the bells I still can ring. And looking back over the past year, it seems indeed there was so very much to celebrate.


The kids made me a cake.




And we played with parachutes for no particular reason at all.


There were hayrides and I forgot that in the middle of all the chaos we sat next to each other and that more than I realize it, he's always right by my side.

We celebrated Thanksgiving with solo cups, excessive pie, and the most epic round of Headbands ever played.


There were hugs. So very many hugs.



It was Hanukkah and as the days grew shorter, we filled the evenings with so much light. 


We went to the lake in the morning on the weekends even when it was cold, because fresh air and water make everything better.


We held a Special Persons Dance for the Girl Scouts. In hindsight, I'm grateful that we didn't realize how precious and fleeting it would be soon after for the rare opportunity to just gather together, and be silly.


This was the night I realized everything was changing. That's why I took this picture. I wanted to remember where I was when I realized that. But I should have taken it because it was a beautiful evening sky that night.



We started regular lessons with the kids grandmother over FaceTime during homeschool. These lessons would cover everything and anything from royal tea etiquette to the Mayan culture to tallest buildings. Occasionally, costumes were involved. It reminded me how utterly precious and special and amazing grandmothers can be and also teachers and how damn lucky we are to have a grandmother that used to be a teacher. 


We had a zoom birthday for Phil. Friends sang to him and though everyone was far away it felt strangely nice to be altogether!


We started faithfully reading Harry Potter to the youngest. I know lately it seems like J.K. Rowling has lost her mind along with the rest of 2020, but these books are fanciful and wonderful and it's been an absolute gift to see each one of my children find such delight in these stories.


Going to school started to mean this. That was weird.


Friends and neighbors spontaneously left us notes in our driveway and hearts in our yard. We felt loved.



We finally taught the last one in our family to ride a bike.


With 5 people eating three meals a day at home we also broke all of our regular glasses and started drinking water out of champagne flutes. YOLO.



It snowed on May 9th. I was worried that the buds just beginning to pop out for Spring wouldn't be able to withstand the cold and weight of the snow but they did and that was a wonderful surprise.


Summer finally arrived, and when it did we picked nine pounds of strawberries and ate them all unapologetically. They were delicious.


After 105 days of missing him terribly, I got to spend Father's Day with Dad.


We went to the beach with friends that are like family. I never wanted to leave. Also, we ate all of the lobster in the state of Connecticut. We were equally unapologetic about this fact as well.


We thanked God for the gorgeous weekly bounty that is the summer CSA at Sub Edge Farm. In a year where there seems to be few things that you can consistently count on, showing up week after week and getting my little red bin filled up with fresh vegetables seemed equal parts reassuring and miraculous.


We played basketball until we couldn't see the hoop anymore. When we bought this house one of Phil's most important criteria was the pitch of the driveway and whether or not we could put up a hoop. I applaud his ability to foresee we would one day spend literally all of our recreational time on this home court. 


We went to a Bar Mitzvah in our backyard. It was one of the most beautiful services I've ever attended.


And we found rainbows in our front yard.


We went back to the beach and I got to spend time with my sisters there. Man do I feel lucky and grateful to have these two in my life.


I woke up early one morning to watch the sunrise. I know it might sound completely stupid and obvious but that's just an insanely awe inspiring situation that literally happens every single damn day and I have no idea why we are all not watching more sunrises.


We had ourselves an end of summer beginning of school year 80s party because in general, everything is better with costumes and 80s music. As you can imagine, it was amazing. We are considering making this a weekly ritual.


It's so interesting to look back on these moments, the way we so truly turned inward these past few months. Not that we were alone so much. Just the way we gave up so quickly all of the stuff that we thought made a life. It's not that I don't miss it. I do. I don't know. I guess it's complicated. Maybe that was the imperfect offering of this strangely brutal year.

The road we take to Sub Edge each week I like to call the road where anything seems possible. It is long and expansive and open with nothing but corn stalks on one side and pasture and sunflowers on the other. It is wide blue skies and possibility. Who knows what 43 will look like. Part of me is afraid to hope and wonder about what could be possible next year. Part of me says learn the lesson of 42.

Stay humble. Stay open. 
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.




Comments

  1. I loved this update. Happy belated bday and wishes for a HEALTHY and good year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co