Skip to main content

Never Underestimate the Mothers

 I remember the very first moment I knew I was pregnant. I hadn’t taken a single test yet undeniably, this was a thing that I knew. I felt different in a way I had never felt before, in a way I couldn’t even articulate. My husband didn’t believe me and of course who could blame him? I was being silly. Why did I think I was pregnant? Because I had slept a little later that morning, or had devoured that cheeseburger at the airport? Maybe. But I was different. I was changed. And six different home pregnancy tests later he believed me. Indeed, I was. We were expecting our son.


The thing is that women always know. We know our bodies, we know our children before we even know them, we know when people are trying to lie to us, or intimidate us, or control us. We know what it feels like in our gut when someone comes for one of our children, that feeling when our minds go blank and all we can think of is the feeling of hot rage and mixed with the cool steady calm that guides us toward that child. Nothing - nothing will harm them. Not mine. Not yours. We will keep them safe. From that very first day that we all knew we were about to become mothers none of us were the same. And it’s funny how we never even talk about that. But how I also know I would literally die for any of your kids. And how I know you would for mine. That’s the thing about mothers. We calmly do our jobs and pack lunches and wear our masks. We’ve got our heads down and we are just trying to get all of us through this thing. But the thing is. We know.


We know what you have done. You have messed with our kids.


We, who stayed up and watched you sleep that night when you had a fever. Who pumped breast milk every hour till our nipples were raw. Who made your baby food from scratch. Who stopped eating seventeen different foods to see which ones you were allergic to. We are the ones who are learning the new math, and driving you to that soccer tournament six hours away. We will draw your bath when your heart is broken and we have nothing else to say, and who hold our breath when you do your job and leave us like you are supposed to. We, who research every damn video game you ever play, who worry about who you spend your time with and worry if we are enough, we, who haven’t slept in months….


Did you know this? Did you know that the mothers don’t sleep anymore? None of us. Not one of us. We don’t close our eyes anymore. We can’t. We can’t bear to because when we do we see the faces of our children and of all the children and know deeply that all of the moments we spent telling them to follow the rules, care for others, to not bully or shame others, that all of that every day is just tossed on fire at public rallies where the President tells them that Covid doesn’t exist, doctors aren’t heroes but are thieves collecting money from Covid patients, masks are for pussies, running busses off of roads is good, beating up people is good, making fun of people is good. 


Our children’s lives have been stolen from them. And it fills us with a hot rage because everything we have ever done since the moment we met them has been about protecting them and teaching them right from wrong and he’s stolen it from us. And now the mothers know what we must do.


We must vote for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Not because we are all Democrats. We are not. But because we are all mothers who cannot lie awake wondering how we spent so much time pondering things like Fortnite and non organic Cheerios and tackle football only to have a pandemic coupled with a President and First Lady who have literally said they do not care, that what is not happening isn’t real, and that your reality does not exist, and even if it does fuck you. 


I read once some sort of urban myth about a car that overturned on a woman’s children, and that the woman, filled with adrenaline and a mother’s love, flipped over the car and rescued the children herself. And it is the image that runs through my mind most often now.


There is only one path out of this thing if the mothers will ever be able to go to sleep again. Please vote for Joe Biden. Please crawl through broken glass to do this. We have always known we would do anything possible for them, before we even knew them. We must be calm and steady, but guided by the hot rage and adrenaline, that fire we first felt inside of us when we knew we were different because of them, and that tells us they are in trouble and we must protect them.


This year has taught me how much I don’t know yet also crystalized those few tiny kernels of truth which I will take with me to the grave and this one I know with certainty.


Never, never underestimate the mothers.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co