Skip to main content

Gen X Is Not Okay.

You really ought to check on your Gen X friends.

It is difficult to articulate what this middle is like right now for us. We are caring for the parents above us, watching this pandemic ravage their mental health as they stay isolated inside, but simultaneously worried that if we try to hug them or comfort them or encourage them to leave they will catch a deadly disease. At the same time we are trying to shepherd our kids through this thing too, somehow ensuring that they don't grow up to be permanently scarred and weird because all they know are screens and adult conversations and that is not a childhood. We are doing all of this while we hold the line on businesses and jobs and careers. We are twenty years in. We are the ones with enough institutional knowledge to keep the office or that business afloat right now. We are 15 years into a marriage and at best, two away from needing a new roof. We are holding ALL of it up.
But watching everything unfold yesterday just about nearly broke us. Throughout all of our adult lives we have been handed so much horse crap, like the Bush v. Gore decision, or even the Iraq war, and each time we were told to trust the system, to respect the rules. Pay your student loans. Show up for work on time. So to watch a bunch of boomers and millennials in cosplay light that on fire from our remote desks while we homeschool our kids, make dinner, and do a socially distant welfare check on mom and dad, was just maybe too much to bear. There is a great line in the movie Singles: “Somewhere around 25, bizarre becomes immature.” Like are you kidding me with this? Did this asshole really just break into the capital dressed like a fucking red white and blue elk and get away with it? I can’t. Where are the consequences? Where? Honestly Generation X has no time or patience to find out.
All this is to say, we won’t ask for it. Well, I guess I am. We’re trying to hold the line here as best we can on literally everyone and everything. But the one thing we are known for is being both completely judgmental of while simultaneously swallowing down everyone else’s crap and right now we don’t even have the time or strength to even reflect ironically on how fucking crappy all of you all are. Can you just keep democracy running? Would that maybe be too much to ask of the rest of you right now?
Anyhow maybe just check on us okay.


Comments

  1. Hi Jenn - Gen X'er here, and I hear and agree with this. I just returned from visiting my dad 2800 miles across the country because, although I'm well aware there's a pandemic raging, I haven't seen my dad in 18 months and at almost 76, he is not in great health, nor does he have a fantastic support system where he is that would at least set my mind at ease a little. So I took the chance of going to see him, and I'll fight anyone in my life who has a problem with that.

    So now I'm sitting here in quarantine, WFH (since March), trying to keep my daughter's hybrid junior high schedule straight on the remote/in-person days, wondering how I ended up being the strongest person I know these days. I think it must be because I had to be. I'm trying to simultaneously handle my mental health, get enough sun and exercise when it's January in Upstate NY, worrying if my daughter has enough interaction, thinking about all we've collectively missed this year (her first junior high dance! holiday concerts!), and trying to stay informed on current events without losing my mind in the process.

    In a way, I feel that these circumstances that have become THE YEAR OF COVID have actually been a gift in disguise. My sister, also my best friend, told me the other night that I have become kinder in the last year. In turn, I told her that I've seen her grow up (she is a very young 40). The tough circumstances of this last year have brought out the best in some people, and unfortunately little change in others. I simply don't feel like the same person I was 10 months ago, and I'm profoundly grateful for that. When the universe seems to want to push me to my boundaries, I feel like it knows I still have room to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co