Skip to main content

Moment of Zen

The other morning I officially hit a new parenting low when I literally promised my daughter gold at 5AM if she would just be quiet. Whatever. It didn't even work. And in this moment I was particularly struck by two universal truths about parenting: 1) anything you say at crazy hours of the night and early morning can never be held against you by your spouse or children during regular human hours, and 2), you must accept that which you cannot control.

On this particular morning, Ruby woke up for THE DAY at 4:55AM (anything before 6AM in my book is completely unacceptable) and did so by singing the ABC’s at the top of her lungs. Which would have been annoying but manageable had she not put the fear of G-d in me that she would also wake her brother before 6AM, a completely unmanageable situation requiring a 4:30pm bedtime for the entire family. I was literally pleading with her 2 year old mind for silence as she stared at me with her large and completely blank eyeballs and began to belt out her next number. Sigh – fail.

I was shaking with sheer terror at the thought of Dylan waking up at this time of day and trudging through the rest of his hours in a painstakingly fatigued state. A similar scene had played out last month when we had all shared a hotel room together on a family vacation, which, if you’ve ever shared a hotel room with your small children on vacation you know there is nothing fun, relaxing or vacation-esque about it. With each tiny sigh or snore that came out of their little bodies pre-dawn, I lay in terror at the thought of someone waking up, screaming and starting all of our days like that at 4:30AM. Suddenly, my husband passed gas and I shot him the look of death, thinking “how dare you nearly wake our children?!” And then I realized that I almost just threatened to divorce my husband because he passed gas which he should totally be allowed to do in the privacy of his hotel room on vacation and that, by the way, I was not sleeping at all on my own vacation but instead lying awake watching the seconds tick by trying to micromanage every second of every one’s life including my husband’s gastrointestinal distress, and my children’s sleep patterns– which is utterly and completely ridiculous.

Because I am never in control – they are and even knowing this, I still begin each day swimming against the tide, believing I can change the outcome. Until I hit a wall and become completely peaceful. It is the moment when I realize that I must accept that which I cannot control. These tiny humans are in complete control of my life and whatever the plan is, you can bet I’m just following their lead.  If even for a moment I can find peace with this concept, than I’ve found my moment of Zen. And the reality is that maybe if can let myself truly relax and let things unfold as they are supposed to or are going to no matter what, then maybe I’ll even be able to enjoy my vacation, or our life without the constant worrying. And it won’t be a perfectly napped, planned day – it will be its usual blend of thinly veiled chaos: perfect disorganization. Which is really what life is supposed to be after all, isn’t it? At least life with children J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co