Skip to main content

List

I’m not big on lists, but lately I’ve been thinking a lot on my kids and on how ridiculously fast they’ve been changing –Dylan lost two teeth in just the past month alone – and been thinking about all the different things I love about them right now. Because I know in 5 minutes they will change and that will be great too. But I just have this nagging sense of wanting to remember the little random stuff I loved about this version of now. Before this now is 5 years from now, and I don’t remember. So here it is: my random list of the top 17 things I love about you guys, before in my sleep deprived state and diet-coke induced lack of short term memory, I forget it all:

1.       I love that wherever you go and regardless of the time of day, one of you always has peanut butter on your face.

2.       I love that you aren’t too cool to where the superman sweatshirt I bought you at JC Penney.

3.       I love that my electric toothbrush still seems exciting and slightly dangerous to you.

4.       I love that sprinkles or parmesan cheese – added to nearly anything – can make anything taste better.

5.       I love the way you run to greet your dad when he comes in as if it’s never happened before and it’s still a really exciting thing.

6.       I love how seriously and legitimately you believed in every imaginary character at Disney World. Seeing you believe in silly things felt magical.

7.       I love that you are not too old to watch Doc McStuffins (and am glad that you are too old for Caillou, although sad that you’ve outgrown Little Bear).

8.       I love the way you whisper to and play with each other, even though it usually means you are joining forces against me.

9.       I love that you wonder about what you’ll be when you grow up. It makes me feel like I can still wonder about that too.

10.   I love that no matter how sad you are, you can be cheered up by orange tic tacs, the Village People’s YMCA, or some combination of both.

11.   I love that you still fit in my lap (sort of).

12.   I love that you haven’t learned to read yet, because it means I still get to read to you.

13.   I love your world of absolutes. There is good and there is bad. There is no gray and we never have to spend anytime navigating the complex feelings, emotions and questions attached to why good people do bad stuff or why bad people sometimes do good stuff.

14.   I love that you still won’t travel without your Pooh Bears.

15.   I love that you still let me tuck you in at night and that you aren’t too proud or big for a kiss or a snuggle.

16.   I love how you look when you are fresh out of the bath and your hair is combed and you are snug in your pjs and for what seems like literally one minute of our day – you are clean.

17.   I love that you find it super fun and fancy to have dinner at Subway.

I love that regardless of our clearly defined roles, you continue to surprise me and teach me new stuff every day. Today you taught me about the girl Skylander and that hummus can actually be eaten with a spoon. I had no idea who you would turn into and can’t imagine who you will continue to grow into. You are also teaching me that roller coasters are fun (not just deathly terrifying as I’ve always believed) precisely because you don’t know what is coming next: that this is the most wonderful part. With every day with you, I am starting to understand this more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co