Skip to main content

Your Children are Amazing

Sometimes when I write I don’t know where to start which is silly because obviously I should start at the beginning. But I’m just going to cut to the chase here because adult attention spans are shockingly short nowadays and before someone sends you that next BuzzFeed quiz (which flavor of microwave popcorn are you anyway?) I want to be sure you catch this one simple point.

Your children are amazing. AMAZING.

I think it’s easy to forget this stuff sometimes as parents. We get fed a ridiculous amount of messages every single day from pretty much every single person with a computer who thinks they can tell us what we should do or shouldn’t do as a parent:

These are the 4 things you needed to do YESTERDAY to raise a happy child.
Stop feeding your child these 6 things to ensure your kid is healthy.
Want your kid to love you? Be sure to say these 19 things to your kid every morning.

Honestly, I do believe that all of this comes from a good place. That we all just went happy and healthy kids and so we write and read and consume all of this stuff hoping it will yield the right result. We obsess over it. Or at least I do. But sometimes it’s too much, too many different voices chiming in with different dos and don’ts. And I feel myself starting to panic because I don’t know how I’ll ever retain all the stuff I’m supposed to know to parent them well, to churn out these awesome little creatures.

And though I’m certain it’s been said before I’m equally certain it bears reminding that when you obsess over that stuff so much, you sometimes forget that they already are awesome little creatures.

Last night I went to my nephew’s concert. It was a showcase of the best and the brightest in elementary orchestra, choir and band. In the beginning, there was an announcement for everyone to shut off all electronic gadgets. No phones, no cameras, no beeping. Nothing. Just music. Just kids and music.

There is something so amazing about a concert like this – seeing kids on stage performing their heart out for no other reason than the opportunity to be excellent at something, to try hard, to fill up the space with something beautiful. And so with no kiddies to watch and no phone to annoy me, I had nothing to do but close my eyes and open my heart and just listen.

I turned to see my sister frantically waving to her baby boy, the ever growing no longer a baby boy in the back with the giant tuba. Beaming with pride all the way up on the mezzanine, I thought about what my mother knew about her, about what she knew about him. These kids: they are amazing.

And they don’t need much more from us than love and encouragement. There are a million different ways to do this right but all it really requires of us is to let them be. Because your children are resilient and talented and loving and amazing. Somehow amidst all of the noise, I think had forgotten this a little bit.

And so if you can’t beat them, join them. I’m piling on my own advice to the already substantial number of how-to parenting pieces we all read each day. Inspired by last night’s concert, here it is: all you ever need to know to raise an amazing child in 5 words.

Open your heart and listen.

Comments

  1. Clapping and clapping and smiling and nodding. And run on sentencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great reminder. My friend often assures the new mothers in her parenting groups that "there are many ways to get to the same place--healthy, happy kids." I like yours--simple & full of love. Now I can go ignore all those other lists of things I should be doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great message and so true! (Those lists are getting old. Very old. The internet needs a new format.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co