Skip to main content

Water

Details.

This weekend I’ve been swimming in the details. Sometimes even when life is really good, it can still be overwhelmingly transactional. This seems true whether you are a parent or not, but it felt particularly true these past few days as little tired humans wrung out from pools and BBQs and late summer nights needed more and more of me.

It wasn’t their fault. They are young and tired. Their patience is short and they get cold and hungry and hot and thirsty and itchy and sad and bored. I understand. I am feeling all of that too, while I carefully maneuver their transactional minefield littered with delicate young feelings and fragments of my frayed patience. I tend, I kiss, I cook, I clean, I tuck.

This morning we decided to venture off to a state park we’d never tried before which promised waterfalls and a small lake to swim in and a little beach area and picnicking: a new spot to enjoy one of the finest days that summer had to offer.  But there were bottles to make and a beach bag to pack and a cooler to fill and where are the chairs and do we have food for the cooler? And so for two and a half hours straight I ran around like a mad woman looking for cold cuts and sunscreen and swim shirts and diapers.

By 11:30 we’d cobbled together what we needed for the world’s briefest roadtrip. For the 20 minutes in the car, I casually sipped gingerale and bit my tongue, trying not to snap at the next person who asked me for more air, or less air, or more radio or no radio or a snack or a bathroom or directions. Because honestly, it’s not them, it’s me.

And all the while I was sipping and breathing and muttering to myself: this is water.

It’s a reference from a speech I’d read given by the late author and essayist David Foster Wallace at the Kenyon College commencement back in 2005. Titled “This is Water,” (which you can read HERE) the speech was later published as a book by the same name. In it, Wallace argues that all of our collective “default” settings in life are to just hum through hard and detail and transaction and just stay bogged in it, dead to perspective, to what is real, to what matters. As Wallace describes: “… the real value of a real education… has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over: ‘This is water."

Wallace argues that the real work of life isn’t exciting and can sometimes and often times be monotonous, but sometimes that is all of the stuff of life and if you think of it as anything less than the holy work it is, than you will spend the rest of your life angrily sipping gingerale missing this amazing picture perfect blue sky day with your family who will never again have this moment, this day, this place in time together. You will miss it. You will get stuck in the garbage-y minutiae that you think is what all of “it” is really all about and in doing so you will miss all of it. You will miss this life.

We arrived at the park and piled out. There was more schlepping and changing, lugging the stroller onto the banks of the sand; slathering of sunscreen and sticky fingers and bathing suits. And then there were giggles and splashing. Dylan found a tadpole. Ruby practiced her swimming. The baby needed me, she needed to be held. Unable to settle, I scrambled out and back in to the water, one hand under the baby, the camera around my neck. There was lunch and someone wanted peanut butter, turkey but no mustard, more pretzels. I sat at the edge of the lake and passed and sorted and chewed while Hope sat peacefully on my lap, squishing her little fat toes in the wet sand.

This is water, I thought.

This is water.

Comments

  1. I just love this. I couldn't agree more. This is my first time reading your blog, and I will definitely be back! Also, can't wait to check out that Foster essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm breathless. This perfectly captures what I strive for when the tedious, structureless, seemingly endless days with my boys leave me irritable and mired in the muck. Now I will whisper, "This is water..." Thank you for this...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dina, yes. I get it with three little ones! Thank you for taking the time to read!

      Delete
  3. I'm heading to the beach with my kids today, and I know this perspective will stick with me. When I'm annoyed at the neediness of children covered in sand, your words will calm me. Thank you from future me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful piece, and perfect focus on the true meaning of a family outing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a powerful right here: "You will get stuck in the garbage-y minutiae that you think is what all of “it” is really all about and in doing so you will miss all of it. You will miss this life." Important point and beautifully illustrated in the whole piece. Also wanted to say I LOVED your piece at Momestary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co