Skip to main content

Spare Clothes


There are at least two if not many more universal truths known to all mothers. The first, is that while no child can hear the words “please go get dressed” even when shouted directly into their eardrum they can always hear any mother unwrap any item of food at any decibel and from any distance.

The second and equally important truth is that whoever you don’t pack the spare clothes for is going to need them.

Any guesses as to who didn’t pack herself a spare shirt?

As we set out on the rental car bus yesterday to begin our journey home from vacation, I turned to my husband who would not be making the trip back with me and my three kids and said something like, “It’s no problem.”

“Really. I’ve got this.”

At which point God, overhearing this exchange, literally laughed out loud, put on his favorite footy pajamas, poured himself a drink, and I imagine said something like, “Well, this ought to be a good show.”

Was it the two hour delay that turned into a four hour delay or the turbulence or the toddler vomiting banana crepe all over me or the gate that wouldn’t go up in the parking lot to get us to the car that wouldn’t start because the battery was dead? I mean honestly, I’m not sure. Truthfully, none of that matters now. What I really need to tell you is this:

Never ever feed your children banana crepes ever and most certainly not when you are travelling

Other mothers are amazing. Should you find yourself alone in an airport with three children whilst covered in vomit, mothers will spring into action from all directions. I honestly did not know any of them or where they came from, hoisting upon me plastic bags and wipes a plenty. I know on the Internet and even in real life we can be all judgy and side eye but when it counts, we are there for each other. We know full well that we are in this together.

Your kids are capable of more than you think. When asked, when required, they step up. Most of the time we’re all, “Pick up your plate and shut off your video games!” and I wonder if they just start to believe they really aren’t capable of much more than that, until one day you are yelling, “hose the baby off with your water bottle!” and “grab those suitcases!” Seriously, sometimes I wonder if we’re just overthinking this whole enterprise. Maybe the best and most we can ever do at any one time is just believe in them.

Lastly, pack yourself some spare clothes. Literally and figuratively. Throw in an extra shirt for yourself on that carry on. Maybe it will just be a drop of soy sauce. Maybe it will be baby puke. Who knows? It can’t hurt. But more than that, think about what you will need. I haven’t written in a long time because I have been trapped under lots of puke, and someone else’s expectations of who I’m supposed to be. But it’s useful to remind yourself regularly to think about and prioritize your own needs.

So I’ve got my cup of coffee and I’m writing to you. I might’ve forgotten some spare clothes yesterday but I did remember a book which I read during a brief moment of bliss affectionately known as video game/nap time. It occurred B.B.C (before banana crepe) and as I sat there, flipping through the pages of an old Erma Bombeck book I literally laughed out loud, chuckling at Erma’s quips. I pictured my mother, buried deep within the pages of Erma’s columns and books on our vacations so long ago. I know now that she knew all too well that if you give a child in a pool a mother, someone will suddenly need to pee or puke or eat, and that the mere sight of you will illicit the desire for someone to express their needs.

She wasn’t reading. She was hiding. God that woman was smart.

I loved this line from yesterday’s pages in particular: “I don’t think women outlive men. It only seems longer.”

Indeed.

And if it’s going to feel longer, remember what I told you. Pack yourself some spare clothes, a candy bar that has had the wrapper previously removed, and a good book. At the very least, God shouldn’t be the only one to enjoy this show.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co