Skip to main content

The Last Word

2008, as far as years ago, was a pretty shitty one.

I lost my mother rather swiftly and unsuspectingly and I was behind the wheel of our car with my husband and 10 month old son when we were in a near fatal crash on the highway. Everything felt catastrophic and awful.

That New Year’s Eve, I huddled inside my home with my still new little family. We had a few candles lit, and just about two minutes before midnight I said something to the effect of, “Fuck this. I’m done with you 2008.”

Because there was 90 seconds left in the year, it seemed we were past most of the garbage. At 11:59, I bent over to blow out the candles. And at 11:59 and 30 seconds, with about 30 seconds left of 2008, a strand of my hair slipped forward, fell into a candle, and caught on fire.

And here is what I learned.

1.     Candles can be dangerous. Safety first.
2.     It ain’t over till it’s over.
3.     Bad stuff can happen at any time to anyone. It doesn’t come in threes and you don’t get a pass because you’ve already had a taste of bad stuff. Some of us get more of it than others, and mostly because if you read the fine print when you were born none of any of this came with a fairness clause or guarantee.

I spent an unfortunate amount of time in 2009 trying to make sense of 2008. To understand it, to right the wrongs, to justify some of the nonsense, to exact revenge. None of it, not one shred of it made anything about that shit year any better. You would think that when you get dumped on quite a bit, it sort of gives you some sort of karmic pass for the near future. But it didn’t then and it never does. 2009 brought some more insanely craptastic moments. It also brought some amazing ones. And so this is what I learned then, and I guess this is what I’m remembering now. It’s always all of it. It’s always some good or a lot bad and some sort of combination of random chance and stuff that’s within our control that makes up our days.

The other night was just one of those nights. You know the kind. We’ve reached that point in winter vacation when the common theme is not school break or winter but discord and the children are united in their purpose to start and end each day with the goal of destroying each other’s lives and my humanity. On this particular night, we managed to fight about the Hanukkah candles. Even though there are four menorahs and three children still, there was reason to fight. Later when the house was still awash in the bitter tears of Hanukkah night 5, I angrily peeled out of the driveway with the unknown goal of accomplishing some made up task that really just gave me an excuse to get out. To get away.

And as I sat in the driveway and looked at my family from the outside in, all of it seemed actually quite beautiful. It always is this way really, when you step back (and dear God when you can’t hear them). When you can just see bright shimmering candles glowing in the windows, and still joyful feet running around in a living room decorated mostly by torn wrapping paper and Thomas the train. And this is what today is I suppose. Today is the day where we stand on the outside and look in. Look in at ourselves, our families, and our year. Today amidst all of the noise of 2016, I urge you to look back and find the beauty. I promise you that somehow, even in the darkest parts of it, it was there.

This year, among the many celebrity deaths we lost Leonard Cohen, acclaimed singer, poet and songwriter. One of my most favorite quotes of all time was written by Cohen, when he said: “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” And so on this last night of 2016, of Hanukkah, of a year full of twists and glass ceilings that almost cracked and plenty of hearts that did, I wish you the chance to let all of it go. Make space to look for the good and be the good.


It’s a new year. Let’s be the light that gets in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co