Skip to main content

Summer Vacation

As it always seems, winter drags its feet and leaves kicking and screaming while summer seems to just fly by. Literally, I can’t seem to catch it. It’s a firefly I’m trying to catch in a jar, a sunset I’m trying to snap before it disappears. It’s a wave, a breeze. Before I’m ready to really settle into summer, it seems like it’s already beginning to bid us farewell.

Our summer swan song is always the same, a trip out to the west coast to visit my sister. I’m sure each of you have a place like California, one that you return to each year. We wait for California, we count down the days. It is our favorite thing. And it also means summer is almost over.

California is as much a state of mind as physical destination. To be in California means you let go of the daily logistics and schedules that consume most of our daily existence. There is still laundry and dishes. But there are long, late mornings spent on deep couches with the people we love most in the world. There is lots of ice cream and swimming pools and mountains everywhere that humble us, and remind us that we are small.

My favorite thing about our days in California are the bookends – the generous coffee mugs at daybreak and the long pour of wine outside on the patio in the evening. We move more slowly here. We know how special it is to be in such a beautiful place with the very best people. We really want to drink this in. As if we have to store those seven days up so that we can take it back east with us. When the schedules and the busy gusto of regular life begin again, as it should, we can search our hearts for that tiny space where we keep the California version of us. The ones that are more relaxed and bathed in sunshine, with full hearts, gratitude, and humility.

As I’m beginning to pack, there is another kind of vacation I’m preparing for as well. Starting on Sunday, I'll also be taking a social media vacation where I log off sites like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for a week or so. I’ve been doing one of these for the past few years and I cannot recommend it enough. Here is how I know I’m ready for a social media break:

·         My social media usage has steadily been creeping up. My Twitter time in particular has really been on an upswing. The frenetic pace of the news cycle has me checking more and more.
·         Checking the news more and more means, in general, that I’m feeling more distracted. I am keenly aware of this sense of urgency to check, to find out about the latest Washington-based nuttiness.
·         On top of making me more distracted, reading regularly about the chaos in the news is making me more edgy and angry. I have less patience for small children whose needs aren’t that truly complex. But I’m frustrated about 18 different things that have literally nothing to do with them and I can’t fix it. I feel myself having disproportionate reactions to their small, but not insignificant needs and problems.
·         Most importantly, our time in California is special and fleeting. I don’t want to miss a minute.

Here’s the thing with my social media vacations: just like my regular ones, I know I’ll be back. But I’ll return hopefully just as I do from our time out west: with a fresh perspective and the chance to take that feeling, however much I can capture it, of knowing what is real and what matters and how to focus, when fall requires it of me the most. 

August may already be upon us, but its not too late. Perhaps you too have one more vacation left to take.

Disconnect.

Reconnect.

Bottle up summer and take it with you before it's gone.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Hollis' Instagram is The Bad Place

  Women, mothers, pull up a chair.  I wish to have a word with you about Rachel Hollis, toxic positivity, and women as a commodity.  Do you know Rachel Hollis? She is a self proclaimed motivational speaker and life coach. She has nearly 2 million followers on Instagram, has published multiple NY Times bestsellers, and runs her own business, has a product line in Target, a clothing line on QVC, her own fitness app, and sells out large convention size stadiums where people pay $40 for a general ticket or up to $200 per person for a VIP pass that will give them things like “digital swag” (those two words together form a new one that has an unclear meaning to me), and video playback on all speakers. Rachel Hollis is a business and the thing that she is selling? Why that’s you. It wasn’t always this way. As one of the few bloggers still kicking around that started out nearly nine years ago, many of us old folks can tell you how quickly the landscape of personal essays and blogging changed.

Distracted Living

Last week, I almost killed my daughter. It started off as really any other week ever does. My husband had been travelling pretty much non-stop for nearly the entire month. Whether we wanted to or not, we were all falling into a fairly regular rhythm without him, at least Monday-Friday. With school and activities and for better or worse, the days seemed to move rather quickly but by evening all three of us were stretched thin. Collectively, we all seemed to peek at maximum crabbiness somewhere around 6pm. It was shortly after this time last Wednesday night that I brought the kids upstairs to help them get washed up for bed. My daughter had an upset stomach for most of the day but I hadn’t thought much of it. She was otherwise happy and playing and generally herself. I did know that she was very tired. Still, we were a good hour and a half from her usual bedtime of around 8pm. I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the shower for my son. This is

Keeping it Real

I received an email tonight from a fellow mom. Really, it was more of a detailed confession of all of the things she’d done wrong today as a mother. It ended with two simple words: “Parent fail.” Her email both broke my heart and made me super angry because you see, she’s really a terrific mom. But today, she must have used someone else’s measuring stick to make that call. It troubled me in particular because motherhood and parenthood for that matter, is definitely not measured or won or lost on a battle by battle or day to day basis. We’re in this for the long haul people. Did your child watch six hours of TV today or eat pizza for dinner every night this week? What really matters at the end of the day? Let’s just admit my own bias here. If we are measuring this stuff on a day to day basis, I’m assuming I would have done a pretty sub-par job by most people’s standards. I brought my son to the grocery store in a rainbow colored clown wig and pajamas because it was the only way I co